If you like fruits than you should definitely learn how to grow strawberries because they are healthier a yummier than the ones you buy from the supermarket . Furthermore growing your own fruit will allow you to prepare yummy deserts and experiment with various summer cocktail recipes. After all what can be better than coming home from work an enjoying a strawberry smoothie made with fresh and natural fruits.
They are full of vitamins and minerals not to mention the fact that they are very easy to grow. Many people believe that if you do not live in a mild temperature area then you can not plant strawberries in your garden. That was true in the old days, today you can find all different kinds of species that can resist to the lowest and the highest temperatures.
Here we are going to give you some instructions on how to grow strawberries.
- The first thing you have to do is buy the strawberry plants. You can purchase them from a nursery or you can order them from a catalog. Whatever methods you choose just make sure that they are disease free certified because you do not want to have any surprises with your plants.
- After you have bought the plants it is time to choose the perfect site for them. Look for a place in your garden that has good drainage and it is exposed to the sun most of the day. If you do not have good quality soil in your garden you can grow them in pots.
- Clean the area where you want to plant your strawberries. Remove all the rocks and weeds so that the plants can grow strong and healthy. After this add some compost and some manure to make sure that the soil is full of nutrients.
- Next di holes into the ground and place the plants in. The hole should be deep enough to cover the entire root. Once you have placed the strawberry plant in the hole cover it with soil until the crown on the plant is at level grown.
- Water the plant regularly so that the plant can develop and for the fruit. Do not water the plant too much, you do not want to drown it.
- Harvest the strawberries as soon as they grow because if the ripe fruit stays in the sun too much it will spoil.
As you can see learning how to grow strawberries is not as hard. They are probably the most beloved summer fruit and having them in your garden will allow you to be sure that you children benefit from the natural vitamins without the added chemicals. Furthermore you don’t have to run to the market every time you want to spoil yourself or impress your friends. Just harvest the fruit in your garden and use them to decorate deserts, prepare summer cocktail recipes or simply enjoy a healthy fruit salad on a torrid summer day. Remember our simple instructions and you will have delicious strawberries in your yard in no time. Make sure that they are disease free certified because if they are not you will have to care for them a great deal.