One vegetable which is very much used in our dishes is the potato which is why you should learn how to grow potatoes in your garden. Potatoes are used in the majority of dishes we eat every day so why not cultivate your own and reduce the chemicals you put in your body.it is very easy to harvest not to mention very tasty. All people know that potatoes must be planted in an area where the climate is cool but what they do not know is the fact that today there are a lot of varieties that you too can plant them in your garden.
Here are some instructions on how to grow potatoes:
- The first thing you have to do is buy the potatoes seeds. You can purchase them from a nursery or you can pick them from a catalogue. If you are looking for potatoes plants we are here to tell you that they can be found only in nurseries and they are rare.
- Next it is time to pick the site where you are going to plant your potatoes. The place should be well drained, it should be exposed to the sun the entire day and it is important that the soil have these three elements: a little bit of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus.
- Clear the ground where you are going to plant your seeds and by this we mean removing all the weeds and rocks. Add a layer of compost to make sure that the soil is rich so that the seeds can grow.
- Whatever you do don’t add manure of the soil because this will cause a disease called scab on the potatoes.
- If you live in an area where the temperature is cool you should plant the seeds after the last frost. If you live in a warm area you should plant them in February. The temperature of the soil should not be less than 40 degrees F.
- Plant the seeds into the ground and water regularly. Add a thin layer of mulch as soon as you see the plant surface.
- Harvest the potatoes as soon as they get big enough to cook. The first potatoes, the small ones, are the tastiest.
So, this is how to grow potatoes in the comfort of your garden. If you want to make job easier make sure that you buy seeds which are very easy to cultivate.