Every gardener should know how to grow grapes of they have a big back yard because you can do some much with them: you can eat them as they are, you can make grape juice or wine out of them or you can make resins. The only big condition for this fruit is that you live in an area where it is hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter. Make sure that you choose the type of grapes that will suite your climate type.
Here is how to grow grapes in the comfort of your home:
- The first thing you have to pick the type of grapes you want to plant in your back yard. After that you should look for a variety that will suite your climate. This is very important because they need a certain type of condition and if you do not meet them they will not grow.
- Next it is type to buy your plant grapes from a nursery. Make sure that none of the plants will have shade when you plant them because if they do they will create a fungus which rotten the grapes.
- Make sure that you amend the soil as deeper as possible because grape plants have very long roots. You should also add a considerable amount of compost in order to help the plant develop.
- The following thing you should do is offer some support to your grapes. You should go to a farmer and ask him what type of support you should provide it. If you do not do this the plant is going to get heavy and the grapes will sit on the ground, and you do not want that.
- Remove the long runners right in the middle of the season just to help the plant send all the water provided to the grapes and not somewhere where is not needed.
- Harvest the grapes at the need of autumn or according to the climate you live in. you know they are ready when they become sweet. Try to eat as much as you can and if there is still left do something productive with it: make some grape juice or wine.
If you want to learn how to grow grapes properly you need to read a lot of books and ask the farmers but these are the main steps. Growing grapes takes a lot of you time at the beginning but it is worth it.