If you are a cook you should really learn how to grow broccoli because it is healthy and very easy to take care of. The broccoli is part of the vegetable category which kids hate but they should not because they are full of vitamins and nutrients. However, this vegetable has become very popular in the last couple of years because scientists have discovered that it is helps people in their fight against cancer. If you want to grow it you have to do it in the cool season because that is the kind of temperature it likes.
- Before you do anything choose the site where you want to plant you broccoli. The area should have full exposure to the sun, it should be well drained and far away from other crops that the vegetable can disturb. They grow pretty tall and they make a lot of shade.
- Add a layer of compost and manure and plant the broccoli plants. The PH of the soil should be of 7.0 so that the vegetable can grow healthy and strong.
- Before the last frost add the seeds into the soil. If you live in a cool climate you should do this in spring.
- If you want to get a head start on growing you can plant the seeds in pots and transfer them into your garden after the last frost has passed.
- When you see the plant starting to surface add a layer of compost in order to help it develop.
- Make sure that you remove any weeds that may grow around the broccoli.
- Harvest the broccoli as soon as they are big enough to eat. Pick all the broccoli if the end of season approaches because they will get yellow if you do not out them in the fridge.
- Make sure that you protect your vegetable against diseases such as clubroot which is a fungus.
Now you know how to grow broccoli in your garden. As you can see it is not such a big deal, you just have to plant some seeds into the ground. If you like broccoli then you should grow your own because the ones you grow will be healthier and tastier than the ones you buy from the supermarket. Remember, this vegetable should not be missing from your diet because it is an amazing source of vitamins and minerals not to mention the fact that it will keep you healthy.